22 February 2013

Review/Swatch: e.l.f. Long-Lasting Lustrous Eyeshadow in Soiree

I wore e.l.f.'s new-ish Long-Lasting Lustrous Eyeshadow in Soiree during my single Valentine's Day this year.
These are shimmery gel eyeshadows with a gel-mousse texture. They have yet to hit the UK.

Soiree is a pink that, when applied, leans slightly more red than the site's pseudo-swatch would have led me to believe. I was expecting something closer to a light mauve, than a pink.

As a result, if not applied conservatively, it looks like I have irritated eyes. Which is NOT what I want to look like on Valentine's Day... I want to look soft and feminine, not like I've been crying! (Which is, arguably, also feminine.)

One solution is to use a lighter layer of this shade. Sheered out on the lids, it looks like this:


Not bad. Problem is, this product has a LOT of silver micro-glitter, which can look uneven if sheered out without some care.
I wouldn't say that this stuff is hard to work with; but its softer texture (and glitter) makes application just slightly more finicky than with the thicker Maybelline Color Tattoos.

Other solution: Use other shadows in combination with it.

Over it, I used MUA Pearl Eyeshadow in shade 24, a rosy mauve, to contour.
I also used the shimmery pink eyeshadow from the Tarte Royal Collection from holiday 2010, which I purchased on sale in the summer, as a highlight in the centre of my lids.


(I also used e.l.f.'s cream eyeliner--which also has a softer texture than your usual gel eyeliners--in Coffee; and the thicker Wet 'n' Wild black gel eyeliner to tightline.)

Based off this shade, I prefer the Maybelline Color Tattoo gel eyeshadows. Compared to this shade, Pomegranate Punk (US), a cranberry, is darker, more earth-toned and less shimmery.

As for the product line in general, Maybelline's are more expensive (retail US$7/£5 for .14oz/3.98g, compared to e.l.f.'s US$3 for .11oz/3g), but come in a nicer glass container; are easier to apply; are less glittery; and, because of the thicker gel texture, take longer to use up.

Summary

    • Price: US$3, online at e.l.f.'s site.
      Texture: Pleasant to the touch; slightly less pleasant to work with.
      Colour: So-so. Too glittery for daytime wear.
      Longevity: Good.
  • No comments :

    Post a Comment